If you regularly work out at home with weights, buying treadmills online might be a great way to get your exercise regime right. That’s because you’ll get much better results if you add some cardio after your weight-lifting session.
First up, if you start with cardio, you’re more likely to do few weight lifting reps, but starting with lifts results in more reps, according to research. Subjects also reported decreased muscle power, higher heart rates and more perceived exertion.
Studies also show that doing cardio immediately after weight training burns more fat in the first 15 minutes than if you do your cardio before lifting. That’s because weight-training burns your glycogen stores as fuel and helps you sculpt your body and build strength rather than just burn fat.
Putting extra energy into weight training first means you’ll burn glycogen faster than you would starting with a steady cardio session, propelling you into excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, or EPOC for short. EPOC happens when your body needs energy to repair muscles after a workout – you’ll continue to burn calories for up to 48 hours after your session.
When you start your exercise regime with cardio, you’ll exhaust yourself quicker and have less energy to lift weights, lowering your EPOC rate and making it more likely you’ll injure yourself. But adding a cardio session straight after means you’ll actually burn more fat – and your training will be far more effective.
To put it more simply:
- Doing cardio before a weightlifting workout = employing your aerobic energy system.
- Doing cardio after a lifting workout = employing your anaerobic energy system.
- Your aerobic system generates ATP (adenosine triphosphate) – the fuel your muscles need to contract – more efficiently. But it's been proven aerobic training also negatively affects strength if performed before lifting.
- Your anaerobic system is more effective at building lean muscle mass, increasing your metabolism.
- Once your muscles have used up their store of ATP, they'll need to turn to fat for the energy to keep exercising.
Therefore, doing cardio after weights will result in burning a higher percentage of fat faster and improve your strength, motivation and form as well.
To see maximum benefits, build strength, sculpt your body and lose more fat rather than muscle, try to factor in a 45-minute weight training session followed by 20 minutes of cardio three times per week.
And if you’re looking to buy treadmills or exercise bikes online, talk to us – we’re here to help you reach your exercise goals faster.